Most of us are watching what we eat and exercising. Yet, losing weight has been difficult, if not near impossible. Well, there may be things or habits that we do that keep us from achieving our goals.
1. Get more sleep. Studies show that your glucose levels can rise with only 4 to 7 hours of sleep every night. Though new parents are excluded, everyone else should try to get at least 8 hours of sleep as often as possible. Every hour of rest before 12 a.m. is twice as valuable as the hours after midnight because our cortisol levels are lowest before midnight making recovery better.
2. Eat fewer refined and processed foods. Try to avoid fast and fried food and consume as many real foods. It’s also imperative to get enough fiber for better elimination — fruits and veggies are a great way to fill up without the extra calories.
3. Avoid drinks loaded with sugar and get more water. Water is best for digestion, eliminating toxins in the body, and transporting important nutrients to our cells which need energy to burn calories.
4. Cook your own food. I may take more work, but the truth is we eat out or order in too often. We have more control on what we eat if we cook it ourselves.
5. Slow down when eating. Don’t wolf down when eating. The monks chew each bite of food 100 times, but they also eat only until they are full. They recognize that chewing their food more makes it easier for the body to digest.
6. Breathe. Practice proper and regular breathing. Close your eyes, pull that air deep into your stomach via your nose and let all the junk out through your mouth. Whether its a stressful day, or you just want to start and end your day on the right foot, breathing is important.
7. Don’t starve yourself. Not eating is the worst diet program. It tells our body to slow metabolism. And don’t skip breakfast because people who skip breakfast are over 4 times more likely to be overweight.
8. Exercise regularly. Even with a work out program or a diet program, everything has to be balanced. You cannot lose weight with just one. And it always help to keep a positive outlook — try to keep stress out of your life.